Date: Jun 24, 2017
By: Staff writer, with CNA
The air force confirmed another missile glitch during a military drill in Pingtung County yesterday, a day after two MIM-23 Hawk missiles veered off course after they were launched at the same annual military exercise to test precision weapons.
The days-long exercise concluded at 11:20am yesterday at the Jioupeng Military Base (九鵬基地), the air force said in a statement.
“The air force will conduct a thorough review, as soon as possible, on all problems identified during the drill,” it said.
The statement came in response to a report by the Chinese-language Apple Daily earlier in the day that an Indigenous Defense Fighter had launched a Tien Chien (Sky Sword) II missile, but the missile failed to ignite and fell directly into the sea.
The reason for the incident is still under investigation, the report said. [FULL STORY]
Radio Taiwan International
This year’s Han Kuang live-fire military exercises will get underway on May 25 on the
This year’s Han Kuang live-fire military exercises will get underway on May 25 on the offshore island county of Penghu. (CNA photo)
offshore island county of Penghu. The defense ministry completed the computer simulated portion of the nation’s annual war games in the first week of the month.
The director of defense ministry’s office for operations and planning, Lieutenant General Chiang Chen-chung, was asked if precision weapons will be used in the live-fire drills. General Chiang said drills using precision weapons will be held separately.
Meanwhile, the navy took delivery of two Perry-class frigates purchased from the United States over the weekend. The navy’s chief of staff, Lee Chung-hsiao, said the arrival of the two ships meets Taiwan’s current need for US-made frigates. The Obama administration had previously promised to make four of the Perry-class vessels available to Taiwan. [FULL STORY]
The China Post
Date: May 10, 2017
By: By Joseph Yeh
Almost a year after a missile misfire incident that killed a Taiwanese fisherman last July, the R.O.C. military said Tuesday that it is still looking for the whereabouts of the Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missile that caused the deadly incident.
The incident occurred on July 1, 2016 when a 500-ton Chin Chiang patrol vessel (金江艦) located at Zuoying Military Harbor in Kaohsiung accidentally fired a locally produced Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missile, which hit a fishing vessel and killed the ship’s skipper.
Following the disaster, the Navy blamed Petty Officer 2nd Class Kao Chia-chun (高嘉駿), who allegedly failed to follow standard operating procedures. Superior officers were not present when the missile was fired — it was set to the wrong launch mode.
Billed as “an aircraft carrier killer,” the Hsiung Feng III supersonic missile has a range of over 100 kilometers. Developed locally, the missile is designed to maximize damage by penetrating an enemy vessel’s hull before exploding inside.
Radio Taiwan International
This year’s Han Kuang Exercises – the military’s largest scale annual drills – are set to
Defense ministry spokesperson Major General Chen Chung-chi speaks about the upcoming Han Kuang military exercises. (CNA file photo)
take place next month. The defense ministry said Sunday that the plan is for President Tsai Ing-wen to preside over the exercises in person beginning on May 25. However, the ministry said that presidential office has yet to approve the itinerary.
As in the past few years, the drills will be divided into two parts: computer-simulated war games and live-fire exercises. The computer war games will take place from May 1-5, while the live-fire portion of the drills will take place from May 22-26.
This year the drills will simulate a potential conflict eight years into the future in 2025. That’s because China is expected to have three aircraft carriers in service by then, as well as stealth fighters and advanced missiles. By that time, Taiwan is hoping to have advanced F-35 fighter jets from the United States. [FULL STORY]
By: Lu Kang-chun and Ko Lin
Taipei, March 5 (CNA) The commander at the Ching Chuan Kang (CCK) air base in
Taichung apologized Sunday for a scandal in which drugs were found on the base last month and some servicemen tested positive for drug use.
At a press conference on the air base, Major General Wang Te-yang (王德揚) said that as commanding officer he was taking full responsibility for the matter and had sent a letter of apology to the Air Force Command.
Wang said he also wished to apologize to the public for allowing drugs to tarnish the military’s code of honor.
The issue arose from the discovery of 53 small packets of drugs at different locations on the base on Feb. 27. In subsequent tests of the 2,303 servicemen on the base, eight people tested positive for drug use. [FULL STORY]
UPGRADE:A KMT legislator called on the president to consider upgrading ketamine to a Category 2 substance to allow for heavier punishments for users and dealers
Date: Feb 23, 2017
By: Chen Wei-han / Staff reporter
Dozens of packages of suspected amphetamines and regulated substances were found
A guard inspects a vehicle at the entrance to Taichung’s Ching Chuan Kang Air Base yesterday. Photo: CNA
on the Ching Chuan Kang Air Base in Taichung, but an ongoing base-wide drug test has not identified any drug users.
Base patrol officers on Monday found 27 packages containing powdery and crystal substances and drug paraphernalia, the Ministry of National Defense said.
A preliminary analysis showed that the substances might be amphetamines and ketamine.
There are about 3,000 enlisted personnel and officers on the base, and 1,200 had taken urine tests as of yesterday, with 10 people initially testing positive, the base’s Political Warfare Office director Colonel Shih Sheng-te (施勝德) said yesterday. [FULL STORY]
WEEKEND WARRIORS:Reservists are to report for two days of training a month and a seven-day annual exercise, and could receive up to 53 days’ training per year
Date: Dec 21, 2016
By: Chen Wei-han / Staff reporter
The Ministry of National Defense yesterday announced the introduction of a short-term
Ministry of National Defense spokesman Major General Chen Chung-chi takes reporters’ questions at a news conference in Taipei yesterday, as the ministry announced the introduction of a short-term voluntary reservist program. Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
voluntary reservist program to re-enlist soldiers in a bid to maintain the armed forces’ combat readiness. It also lowered the criteria for physical fitness.
Starting next year, the ministry is to recruit people who have been discharged from military service for less than eight years on a one-year contract basis, the ministry said at a news conference.
Reservists are to be required to report for training two days each month, in addition to participating in a seven-day exercise each year, and could receive up to 53 days’ training per year, All-out Defense Mobilization Office Acting Director Major General Tsai Chung-cheng (蔡忠誠) said.
The ministry plans to recruit 123 reservists next year to serve in units in all branches of the armed forces, including an army mechanized infantry brigade, a navy underwater operations unit, the air force’s Air Defense Artillery Command, the Reserve Command and the Military Police Command. [FULL STORY]
The China Post
Date: November 27, 2016
CNA — President Tsai Ing-wen, foreground, applauds during a performance by the Air Force’s Thunder Tiger Aerobatics Team in Taichung, Saturday. The performance drew a crowd of over 100,000 excited spectators and represented a triumphal return of the team after it suffered a fatal accident in 2014. [SOURCE]
NATIONAL FOCUS:The National Defense technology division is to facilitate public-private cooperation and eliminate the duplication of effort at a research institute
Date: , Oct 12, 2016
By: Aaron Tu and Jonathan Chin / Staff reporter, with staff writer
The Ministry of National Defense yesterday confirmed that it is to create a military technology research
Ministry of National Defense official Yu Yu-tang, who heads the Department of Resources Planning’s Technology Planning Division, speaks at a news conference in Taipei yesterday. Photo: Tu Chu-min, Taipei Times
establishment next year, saying that it would be similar to the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
Deputy Minister of National Defense Lee Hsi-ming (李喜明) first mentioned the program at the recent Taiwan-US Defense Industry Conference in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Yu Yu-tang (游玉堂), head of the Technology Planning Division of the ministry’s Department of Resources Planning, yesterday said that the division would be remodeled and upgraded to serve the national technology development role.
The division is to be remodeled as the National Defense Technology Division on Jan. 1 next year with a budget of NT$3 billion (US$94.9 million), and it is to be upgraded at some point to become the National Defense Technology Office, a special establishment at the departmental level, Yu said. [FULL STORY]
The petition has reached the threshold of 5,000 signatures, and the government is required to respond by Nov. 24.
The News Lens
By: Olivia Yang
An online petition is seeking amendments to Taiwan’s Act of Military Service System that would include
Photo Credit: Reuters/達志影像
“citizens that aren’t male” in the country’s compulsory military service.
The petition was launched on Sept. 13 and has since reached the threshold of 5,000 signatures. The government is required to respond by Nov. 24.
The petition says that “Article 1 of the Act of Military Service System reads ‘In accordance with the Law, the male citizens of the Republic of China are obligated to take military service,’” which, “clearly conflicts with” the principles of gender equality stipulated in the Constitution.
The Act says “the physical differences between males and females create different social roles for them,” to explain why the Act is not unconstitutional. However, the petition says that some females do meet the standards of physical condition for serving in the military. [FULL STORY]