SECURITY BREACH: A government tender to upgrade border control systems was given to a firm suspected of using equipment supplied by Chinese firms, a lawmaker said
Date: Nov 15, 2017
By: Jason Pan / Staff reporter
Judicial investigators on Monday conducted raids and summoned Ministry of the Interior
(MOI) officials in a probe into suspected bribery and bid rigging of government projects, as well as allegations of a security breach in which Chinese companies might have gained access to personal information of Taiwanese.
In an operation jointly conducted by the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office and the Ministry of Justice’s Agency Against Corruption, searches were carried out and 41 people were detained for questioning, mostly officials from the MOI Information Center and the National Immigration Agency (NIA), along with contractors.
Those summoned for questioning included two alleged main figures in the case: MOI Information Center Director Shih Ming-te (施明德), who formerly headed the NIA’s Information Division, and former NIA section chief Chen Ying-chieh (陳英傑).
Of the people brought in for questioning, 17 were listed as suspects and 24 had been questioned as witnesses as of yesterday, prosecutors said.
Shih and Chen were yesterday released after posting bail of NT$1 million (US$33,135) and NT$300,000 respectively. [FULL STORY]