By: Chen Ching-fang and Evelyn Kao
Taipei, May 19 (CNA) A batch of intravenous saline solution found to be contaminated with bacteria has entered hospitals, clinics and pharmacies, causing infections among 12 patients to whom it was administered, the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (Taiwan CDC) said Tuesday.
The CDC said it has been notified that as a result of the contamination, 12 patients at Taipei Veterans General Hospital have been infected with Ralstonia pickettii, a type of bacteria found in moist environments such as soils, rivers and lakes.
The patients were all treated Monday for the bacterial infections and four of them were discharged from hospital Tuesday, Taipei Veterans General Hospital said. [FULL STORY]