‘SPEAKING NONSENSE’:A Taipei city councilor accused the police of making misleading statements, while the minister of the interior dismissed other criticism
Date: Jun 04, 2015
By: Abraham Gerber and Lii Wen / Staff reporters
A child protection plan revived by the Taipei City Government last week differs from
a plan the city canceled in March, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday.
He said that the city government’s announcement of the plan’s cancelation in March had been “imprecise,” failing to specify what was in the plan.
A fatal attack on an elementary student in a school restroom on Friday last week has drawn attention to Taipei’s cancelation of the child protection plan as part of a reduction of “superfluous” duties for police officers.
The Taipei Police Department yesterday said that the plan canceled in March referred to traffic direction at elementary-school entrances.
Mandatory execution of such directions was canceled by the National Police Administration in 2012, with Taipei “canceling only the name” as part of a March reorganization of police duties, the police department added. [FULL STORY]