By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – The Taiwan-China hotline promised at the summit
meeting between President Ma Ying-jeou and Chinese leader Xi Jinping will go into operation by December 31, the Mainland Affairs Council said Tuesday.
MAC Minister Andrew Hsia gave a positive response to reporters questioning him about the timing at a lunch Tuesday.
The telephone line will link Hsia with his Chinese counterpart, Taiwan Affairs Office chief Zhang Zhijun, and will be used for emergencies, the MAC said.
Tests had been going on for some time, and the final preparations were about to be completed, allowing the line to come into use before the year’s end, by the end of Thursday, Hsia told reporters. [FULL STORY]