By: Ko Lin, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
Taipei City’s Public Health Bureau ordered two items to be removed from shelves after they
were found to violate food safety regulations, reports said Monday.
Among the 50 samples inspected, the frozen tofus used by popular hotpot chain Chuanjiliu based in Taipei’s Zhongshan district and the pressed tofus made by a market vendor in downtown Jingmei were found to contain benzoic acid, a preservative agent often used by unscrupulous food manufacturers in Taiwan.
Manufacturers are banned from using benzoic acid or sorbic acid in tofu products, as stipulated in the Standards for Specification, Scope, Application and Limitation of Food Additives.
Since October, health authorities have kicked off inspection tours of the city’s hotpot chain stores, supermarkets and traditional markets in an attempt to safeguard consumers amid the worsening toxic-starch food scare. [FULL STORY]