Hualien files to seize builders’ assets

PRECAUTION: The county said the move was taken on behalf of victims to prevent those responsible for the buildings’ collapse from transferring or hiding their assets

Taipei Times
Date: Feb 15, 2018
By: Jason Pan  /  Staff reporter, with CNA

The Hualien County Government has filed for provisional seizure of assets belonging to

Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi, second left, and other county officials yesterday bow and thank rescuers who came to Hualien’s aid after it was hit by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake on Tuesday last week.  Photo: Wang Chun-chi, Taipei Times

developers, building contractors and several business proprietors in connection with the buildings that were damaged or toppled by the magnitude 6.0 earthquake on Tuesday last week.

The move was made on behalf of people affected by the collapsed or partially collapsed buildings in the city, Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi said, adding that county officials had filed the motions with the Hualien District Court.

Aside from the developers and contractors of the Yun Men Tsui Ti (雲門翠堤) commercial and residential building and two apartment buildings on Hualien City’s Guosheng 6th Street, the provisional seizure orders would include the proprietors of two businesses in the Yun Men Tsui Ti building — the Beauty Inn (漂亮生活旅店) on the first and third floors, and A-Kuan Hotpot (阿官火鍋) on the first floor — along with the architects who were involved in the original construction and the subsequent renovation of these two businesses, Fu said at a news conference.

“We want to prevent these people from transferring or hiding their assets, so that if found guilty of negligence or violating the law, they can be held legally responsible and the rights of victims can be protected,” he said.    [FULL  STORY]

Leave a Reply