Cabinet official poisoned by rogue root vegetable

The China Post
Date: January 2, 2017

TAIPEI — The aphorism “life is full of surprises,” proved all too true for Cabinet spokesman Hsu Kuo-yung (徐國勇) when an unexpected breakfast surprise turned into a medical emergency on New Year’s day.

Hsu rushed to a hospital in New Taipei’s Xindian District on Sunday morning to seek emergency medical treatment for a sharp pain in his throat.

On his Facebook page the government spokesman and former lawmaker revealed he had inadvertently eaten poisonous vegetable tubers that look similar to taro.

“I was in an extremely good mood after attending a New Year flag-raising ceremony and watching a performance by the military’s honor guard,” Hsu wrote.

After returning home, he had vegetable and rice porridge for breakfast, but no sooner had he swallowed three chunks of “taro” than he found himself wondering “why was the taro stir-fried with chilli?”    [FULL  STORY]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.