By: T.W. Hsu and Lillian Lin
Taipei, July 1 (CNA) A doctor at the Cathay General Hospital said Wednesday that it was heart-breaking for doctors and nurses to see that even morphine could not kill the pain of the victims burned June 27 in a fire ignited by colored powder at a water park.
C.T. Yao (姚鍾太) and Chiu Tsai-lun (邱彩綸), a nurse, gave a briefing on the treatment of the hundreds of patients rushed to the hospital in the wake of the tragedy when the colored powder being sprayed onto partygoers ignited.
Some patients suffered 90 percent burns and Yao said it was the first time in his 30 years of practice to treat pain that could not be soothed by morphine.
Treating the patients, most of whom are young, many of the younger nurses found it difficult to hide their shock upon seeing their terrible injuries and to remain calm so that they could give some comfort to the young victims, according to Chiu. [FULL STORY]