By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Education Minister Wu Se-hwa said Wednesday he would
abandon all plans for legal action against 33 people who occupied the Ministry of Education in a protest against curriculum changes.
The withdrawal of the plans for legal cases was one of the key demands of students sitting outside the MOE for the past six days. After the overnight occupation on July 23-24, 33 people including three journalists had been detained for questioning. One of them, student spokesman Lin Kuan-hua, took his own life last week, leading to a new wave of protests.
After attending a discussion meeting with students in Taichung Wednesday, Wu described the atmosphere as positive and said he and the ministry would not press charges against the MOE intruders.
The student protesters opposed changes to the existing high-school curriculum made by an official review committee. They accuse the changes of pulling certain topics, such as history, back in the direction of a more China-centric view of Taiwan. [FULL STORY]