Extension requested for 228 claimants

MISSING CERTIFICATES:The bodies of many people killed during the 228 Massacre were never found, making it impossible for their relatives to claim compensation

Taipei Times
Date: May 29, 2017
By: Lee Hsin-fang / Staff reporter

The Memorial Foundation of 228 said it has asked the Ministry of the Interior to amend the Act for Handling and Compensation for the 228 Incident (二 二 八事件賠償及處理條例) to extend the period for claiming compensation, after a slew of documents related to the Incident were uncovered, giving victims an opportunity to seek compensation.

The act had set the deadline for claiming state compensation as Tuesday last week.

According to the act, victims could claim compensation within seven years of Oct. 7, 1995. The deadline was later extended.

In 2013, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴) proposed to amend the act and the period was extended for another four years.
However, foundation executive director Yang Cheng-long (楊振隆) on Saturday said that victims need more time to claim compensation as more historic documents about the massacre are still being uncovered.
[FULL  STORY]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.