By: Lo Hsiu-wen and Evelyn Kao
Taipei, April 16 (CNA) Farglory Land Development Co., which is contracted by the Taipei city
government to build and operate the Taipei Dome, on Thursday rejected the local government’s demand for a revision of the project’s construction plans.
Citing safety hazards, the city government said the contractor must either tear down the half-completed centerpiece arena or demolish the surrounding commercial buildings on the complex.
In a report released earlier in the day, the city government said that with the help of computer simulations, it had identified five major safety issues on the project, including insufficient surrounding outdoor space to accommodate 140,000 people — the capacity of the complex in downtown Taipei — in the event of an evacuation. [FULL STORY]