CROSSING A LINE:A source said one of the demands had already been rejected and the others were not raised during three-party talks that took place last month
Date: Aug 01, 2017
By: Yang Chun-hui and Jonathan Chin / Staff reporter, with staff writer
Demands by the National Women’s League that the government halt all investigations
into its assets and affiliated organizations are its “unilateral opinions and wishes” that have already been rejected or are unlikely to be agreed to, an Ill-gotten Party Assets Settlement Committee member said yesterday.
The push-back by the league has also “crossed the committee’s red line,” the source said.
On Monday last week, the league filed a list of demands following a joint statement that outlined an agreement reached during negotiations between the committee, the Ministry of the Interior and the league. That statement — dubbed the ministry’s “three principles” — was supposed to provide a roadmap to resolve the league’s alleged mishandling of taxpayer-funded money given to the league between 1955 and 1989.
The statement said the league was to “donate” NT$31.2 billion (US$1.03 billion) of its assets to the government; “disband” by merging with a subsidiary, the Social Welfare Foundation; and allow public oversight of the Social Welfare Foundation and its two other subsidiaries, the Foundation for the Hearing Impaired and Hua Hsing Children’s Home. [FULL STORY]