By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – The Ministry of National Defense said Tuesday it
would take a week before it could announce which military police officers would be disciplined over the search without warrant of a home for documents from the White Terror era.
A public uproar followed recent reports about the February 19 search of the home of a man surnamed Wei after he had announced online he would be selling old military documents.
With politicians clamoring for disciplinary action against the officers involved in the search, the ministry said Tuesday it would respond to legislators’ demands and conduct a thorough investigation of the incident within a week. However, that also meant that the list of disciplinary measures could only be announced after the investigation had been completed, a defense spokesman said.
Asked by reporters about the likely fates of Political Warfare Bureau chief Wen Chen-kuo and Military Police Commander Hsu Chang, the ministry said it did not exclude the possibility that there had been problems with the procedure surrounding the search. If there had been, Wen and Hsu might face disciplinary action, but the military and the officers should be given the necessary time and respect for their rights while the investigation continued, the ministry said. At present, the outside world was critical of Wen and Hsu, but the outcome of the investigation had to be waited for before it could be judged whether punitive action was needed, according to the spokesman. [FULL STORY]