ACCIDENT? The Taipei District Court said a contractor had mistakenly disposed of evidence relating to Ho Chih-hui’s bribing of judges and a prosecutor in 2010
Date: Jun 21, 2019
By: Jason Pan / Staff reporter
The Ministry of Justice and the Taiwan High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday launched an investigationto re-examine misconduct and scandals involving fugitive Ho Chih-hui (何智輝), a former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislator and Miaoli County commissioner, after a media report saying that evidence relating to his bribing of judges had been destroyed.
Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said he ordered the office to investigate the circumstances that led to the destruction of evidence in Ho’s case, and how Ho was able to evade police searches and flee to China.
In the first Taiwan High Court ruling in 2006, Ho was found guilty of receiving kickbacks on an industrial park development project in Tongluo Township (銅鑼), Miaoli County, during his tenure as county commissioner from 1993 to 1997.
Ho’s case led to a scandal in the justice system, when investigators found that he had paid more than NT$10 million (US$320,770 at the current exchange rate) in bribes to four judges and a prosecutor, to ensure a “not guilty” verdict in the High Court retrial in May 2010.