Date: Oct 11, 2020
By: Staff writer, with CNA, Washington
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday said that the US will “fulfill [its] commitments” to Taiwan, amid rising calls for Washington to explicitly commit to defending Taiwan in the event of a Chinese attack.
Pompeo’s remarks came after the Financial Times earlier this week published a video, titled “Will China and the US go to war over Taiwan?” which mentions a “growing debate” in the US over whether it was time to end the “strategic ambiguity” on the defense of Taiwan.
Asked about the issue by conservative political commentator Hugh Hewitt on Friday, Pompeo said that the administration of US President Donald Trump has been “relentless” in delivering on its commitments to Taiwan, but stopped short of clarifying the US position.
“There’s the Taiwan Relations Act, there’s a set of understandings that have been in place for quite some time, and we have made sure to fulfill those commitments,” Pompeo said, further citing weapons sales and the US military’s maintenance of freedom of navigation around Taiwan as examples. [FULL STORY]