‘WORD GAMES’:Students said the ministry should not distinguish between students aged above and below 18 and called for all the charges to be dropped
Date: Aug 02, 2015
By: Abraham Gerber / Staff reporter
Charges will probably not be pressed against high-school students who entered the Ministry
of Education building on Thursday last week, Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) said yesterday.
“For students who are still in high school, we hope not to press charges, while students older than 18 who are willing to acknowledge their actions were ‘disorderly’ will also be taken care of through through nonlegal means,” he said.
He said that not pressing charges was the ministry’s “objective,” but that the ministry hopes the public supports the idea that people should express their points of view only by “reasonable” means.
The ministry has ordered the removal of the barricades across the ministry’s main gate to demonstrate its willingness to communicate with students, he added.
Before yesterday morning protesters in the ministry courtyard had to snake through an extended path between razor wire obstacles to enter and exit the ministry gates. [FULL STORY]