Century-old house disassembled, relocated, reassembled
By: George Liao, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
Shou Rang Hall (守讓堂), a former residence of the Wu family in Wugu, was built in 1917, according to New Taipei City government data. The family used the steamships of its trading company to transport building materials such as porcelain and stone to build the house at today’s intersection of Chengtai Road and Denglin Road.
However, one wing of the old house was torn down to make way for the construction of the National Freeway 1 in 1970. In 2006, the house was registered as a historic building after a campaign to preserve the architectural heritage.
In 2007, a relocation and reassembly plan was adopted by the the New Taipei City Government. The components of the old house were disassembled and stored. [FULL STORY]