By: Sophia Yeh, Claudia Liu, Justin Su, Tai Ya-chen and Evelyn Kao
Hong Kong. (CNA file photo)
Taipei, June 12 (CNA) The Cabinet and various political parties on Sunday expressed different
opinions on the Presidential Office’s decision to turn down an application by former President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to visit Hong Kong for an award ceremony.
The Presidential Office said earlier in day that it had rejected Ma’s application for permission to visit Hong Kong to deliver a speech at an award ceremony and dinner that will be hosted by the Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA) on June 15.
The application was rejected on the grounds that Ma had had access to huge volumes of classified national security information as president and that it was less than one month since he had left office.
The task force assigned to review the application also took into consideration the difficulty involved in controlling the risks of a former president visiting Hong Kong, which is a highly sensitive area in terms of Taiwan’s national security, a government spokesman said. [FULL STORY]