By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – A replacement for the troubled Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded in the pocket of a young woman in the first incident of its kind in Taiwan, the Chinese-language Apple Daily reported Saturday.
The South Korean electronics giant has been plagued with its latest-model phone exploding or catching fire, often during the charging of the batteries. It has offered replacements for the potentially dangerous model.
The young woman surnamed Lai, 26, said she received a model of the new version just ten days ago. When she walked her dog in a park Friday night, she was holding her pet in one hand, an umbrella in the other, and the smartphone was inside the right back pocket of her jeans, the newspaper wrote.
After walking for three minutes, she heard the sound of the phone exploding and felt its heat. She pulled the phone out and dropped it on the ground as it was producing white smoke, she told the Apple Daily. [FULL STORY]