Italian businessman might have dumped North Korean nuclear waste in 1995: AEC
By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – There is no evidence to show that an Italian businessman had 200,000 barrels of
North Korean nuclear waste dumped in the ocean near Taiwan, the Atomic Energy Council (AEC) said Friday.
Earlier this month, documents by an Italian intelligence service were declassified, reportedly showing that businessman Giorgio Comerio allowed his ships to drop the radioactive waste into the water near Taiwan, Somalia and in the Mediterranean around 1995.
The AEC ordered an investigation but found no evidence that the events mentioned in the Italian documents actually occurred, according to a report published Friday.
Official releases by the International Atomic Energy Agency showed that the United States, Japan, South Korea, the Soviet Union and Russia had disposed of radioactive waste in the northern part of the Pacific, but nowhere near Taiwan, the AEC said. [FULL STORY]