Date: Nov 28, 2015
By: Abraham Gerber / Staff reporter
Unconstitutional barriers placed on the presidential ballot deprive citizens of an “equal” right to stand for election, former independent presidential candidate Shih Ming-te (施明德) said yesterday, promising to file a lawsuit after his application was rejected by the Central Election Commission.
“I am here to get a rejection from you,” he said as he walked up to the commission’s registration desk. “Many people will view this as senseless — and it is, but it is only through senseless people taking senseless measures that progress and justice can be realized and defended.”
His application was rejected by commission officials on the grounds that he did not have either a major party recommendation or the 270,000 signatures required to register as an independent candidate.
Four other independent candidates were rejected by the commission earlier this month after failing to present the required signatures. [FULL STORY]