Want China Times
An official from Taiwan’s Ministry of Education (MOE) defended Friday the ministry’s decision
to charge students who tried to break into the ministry’s building earlier in the day, citing “accelerated disorder” as the main reason for its decision to take legal action.
Yu Chien-kuo, head of the ministry’s Department of Civil Service Ethics, defended the decision at a news conference hosted by the opposition Taiwan Solidarity Union after 24 students were charged by the ministry with breaking into its building earlier in the day in a protest over controversial adjustments to curriculum guidelines for high school history textbooks.
“Despite three serious offenses by students over the past month, the education ministry has tried to be lenient with them,” he said.
“However, on the advice of prosecutors and police, the ministry decided to press charges against the students this time, as their disorderly behavior has gone too far,” he said. [FULL STORY]