Party said it has not received apology from Chinese state media, which said KMT's China trip intended to 'beg for peace'
By: Sylvia Teng, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
Individual party members, however, will not be prohibited from attending the forum, said Wang Yu-min (王育敏), head of the KMT's Culture and Communications Committee, at a press conference on Monday (Sept. 14). The Straits Forum, which has been denounced by Taiwanese authorities as a platform for Beijing to promote its political agenda, will open on Sunday (Sept. 20) in the Chinese province of Fujian.
Former Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平), who was previously appointed to lead the KMT delegation to China, will thus cancel his trip. He convened with KMT Chair Johnny Chiang (江啟臣) and the party’s secretary-general Lee Chien-lung (李乾龍) on Monday afternoon to discuss the party's response to the controversy.
With the title, “This man is coming to the mainland to beg for peace,” China Central Television (CCTV) described Wang as a “messenger” for the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP). The KMT later slammed the Chinese state media’s report and lodged a protest against Beijing’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO), which hosts the forum, with a demand for an apology.