DONE DEAL?One protester said that the government is free to compensate those who are not members of the group, but should not breach their agreement to do so
Date: Aug 18, 2017
By: Abraham Gerber / Staff reporter
Compensation for former freeway toll collectors will not follow an agreement with
the Former Freeway Toll Collectors Self-Help Organization and instead is to be need-based, the Ministry of Labor announced yesterday, sparking a protest by some of the group’s members.
Only about NT$540 million (US$17.8 million) from a total of NT$600 million donated by the Ministry of Labor, Ministry of Transportation and Communications and Far Eastern Electronic Toll Collection Co (FETC) is to be disbursed among former toll workers who were laid off after the implementation of electronic toll collection, Department of Employment Relations Director Wang Hou-wei (王厚偉) said.
Any remaining funds are to be returned to the donors, he added.
Hou confirmed that individual payments would be less than specified by a formula agreed to last year by Minister Without Portfolio Lin Wan-i (林萬億) and then-minister of labor Kuo Fong-yu (郭芳煜), which called for toll collectors to receive a sum equal to 1.6 percent of their average salaries multiplied by their years of service. [FULL STORY]