The China Post
Date: August 20, 2017
By: Special to The China Post
TAIPEI, Taiwan — At a press conference today, Taipei Universiade Organizing
Committee (TUOC) CEO Su Li-chiung, TUOC Security Department
Commissioner Huang Sung-Chen and others TOUC representatives voiced their severe condemnation against an incident yesterday, in which protesters blocked delegation athletes from entering the venue during the Taipei 2017 Universiade opening ceremony.
TUOC said it had reviewed the situation immediately after the ceremony and had tightened security along athletes’ routes and Universiade vehicle routes to ensure smooth operations. The athletes are the stars of the Universiade competitions, as well as of the opening and closing ceremonies, said Su, who called for protesters to return the stage to the athletes and give the athletes the biggest support.
Su said that under the original plan, security personnel and safety vehicles had been deployed to provide security to delegation vehicles. In addition, security had been strengthened along travel routes for competitors in the sporting events, and police had been deployed to patrol the athlete drop-off and pickup points.