By: Matthew Strong, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – December 25 will see the Shilin District Court give
its verdict on the man who stabbed four passengers at the Zhongshan Mass Rapid Transit station, reports said Friday.
The July 20 attack by Kuo Yen-chun was the second major incident to hit the Taipei MRT after a student named Cheng Chieh killed four and injured more than twenty on May 21 last year.
Kuo, 27, used a fruit knife in an attack on three women and a man on an MRT station escalator. He was overpowered by guards and by members of the public before he could kill anyone or leave the station.
Prosecutors, who charged him with murder, said at a court session Friday that they hoped the verdict would be severe in order to discouraging others from endangering the safety of MRT passengers. As the situation stood now, passengers didn’t have even the most basic feeling of security, prosecutors were quoted as saying. [FULL STORY]