22 hospitalized from carbon monoxide poisoning at Tainan swimming pool

Focus Taiwan
Date: 01/07/2021
By: Chang Jung-hsiang, Yang Sz-ruei and Chiang Yi-ching

Firefighters helping patrons at the YMCA. CNA photo Jan. 7, 2021

Taipei, Jan. 7 (CNA) Eight adults and 14 children were hospitalized on Thursday after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) swimming pool in Tainan, southern Taiwan.

The city's Fire Bureau sent officers and ambulances to the pool at about 5 p.m., after receiving reports that many patrons were feeling unwell, light headed or had vomited.

A carbon monoxide detector showed that the level of the toxic gas in the basement heated swimming pool was 499 parts per million (ppm), far higher than average indoor levels of 0.5 to 5 ppm.

A carbon monoxide detector shows that the level of the gas was 499 ppm. Photo courtesy of the Tainan City Government's Fire Bureau

The 22 people affected by the gas were taken to five different hospitals in Tainan, and are all in stable condition, according to the bureau.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.