REVISIONS:Retired generals were quoted in a new statement as saying that military personnel cannot deliberately cause unrest due to their vow to protect the nation
Date: May 13, 2017
By: Alison Hsiao / Staff reporter
The Presidential Office’s pension reform committee has revised a statement that said retired military personnel protesting pension reform had agreed to leave the streets and return to the negotiating table, after the claim was rejected by retired lieutenant general Wu Sz-huai (吳斯懷), one of the spokespeople for the protesters camped outside the Legislative Yuan in Taipei.
The committee released the initial statement yesterday morning, with the title saying that a group of retired military personnel protesting the government’s pension reform proposal “decided to leave the street and return to the meeting table.”
Five retired generals, including Wu — who had been camped outside the Legislative Yuan alongside a group of protesters — on Thursday visited committee deputy convener and chief executive Lin Wan-yi (林萬億) accompanied by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator and Foreign and National Defense Committee convener Wang Ding-yu (王定宇).
Wu told the media that the statement’s title was misleading and it was “extremely inappropriate” for the committee to have reached the conclusion that the protesters agreed to leave the streets. [FULL STORY]