‘UNACCEPTABLE’:DPP Taipei City Council caucus whip Rosalia Wu said the document failed to address whether taking people into custody was necessary
Date: Jul 29, 2015
By: Kuo An-chia / Staff reporter
The procedure Zhongzheng First Precinct police officers employed when arresting students
who entered the Ministry of Education complex on Thursday last week was legal and the safety of journalists and bystanders on the scene was duly accounted for, the Taipei Police Department said yesterday.
Dozens of people, mostly high-school students, broke into the ministry compound at about 11:35pm on Thursday to protest changes to high-school curriculum guideline changes and, after a brief occupation of the courtyard, 33 individuals — including 24 students and three reporters — were arrested at about 1am on Friday.
“Precinct Chief Chang Chi-wen (張奇文) personally saw to it that a standard operating procedure was disseminated to all precinct officers and repeatedly exhorted his colleagues to maintain the safety of civilians and evict the protestors in a nonviolent manner,” the department said in a report released yesterday reviewing the operation. [FULL STORY]