Radio Taiwan International
The transportation minister has urged travelers to China to voice their safety concerns
over Beijing’s proposed extra cross-strait flights during the Lunar New Year holidays.
Earlier this month, Beijing announced four new flight paths in the Taiwan Strait. The move was made without consultation with Taipei. Taiwan’s government has withheld approval of the new paths for safety reasons. It has also so far rejected applications by two Chinese airlines for extra flights during the upcoming Lunar New Year period. This may affect the availability of flights for Taiwanese businesspeople working in China planning to travel home for the holidays.
Transportation minister Ho Chen Tan said Tuesday that it is not a matter of whether Taiwanese nationals can get home. He said safety is the key issue. [FULL STORY]