Date: Aug 29, 2015
By: Jason Pan / Staff reporter
The fire that turned a June 27 concert at the Formosa Fun Coast (八仙海岸) water park into
the nation’s deadliest amusement park disaster was caused by colored cornstarch being ignited by stage lights, an official report said this week.
The cornstarch that had been sprayed over hundreds of partygoers at a Color Play Asia event exploded when it came into contact with the lights, whose surface temperatures reached more than 400°C, the report by the New Taipei City Fire Department said.
In the report, a special investigation taskforce said a careful assessment of the evidence and repeated experiments had shown that the heat given off by 200-watt incandescent bulbs in a row of portable “Beam 200” moving-head stage lights ignited the cornstarch, sparking the deadly blaze.
The lights had been placed on the right-hand side of the stage near the front. [FULL STORY]